Perils of Vanity Searching (Or Star Wars Kid Part Deux)

My aunt and uncle were in town last weekend for the NAMM conference. My uncle works for a music store, and he brought with him a DVD of a man who had been visiting his store. The man asked if there was any person there who taught the spoons, that he was a spoon player. And a rapper. The DVD contained very compelling video of a recording session with the rapping spoon master. I did what any responsible net citizen would do, and uploaded it to YouTube.

Fast forward to the other night, when I went to go find the video again. My username at YouTube is timmorgan, so I searched for that term. The video I uploaded wasn’t the only one I found.

Here’s the kicker. I don’t know who made these videos. Now I’ve had the webcam up at work for a very long time, but I’ve always thought that the only folks who look at it are my mother and my wife to see if I’m still at work. That theory is obviously out the window.

As best I can tell, the author is a 18 year old kid named James Mahon, he lives in Missouri and is obviously a big fan of Stargate. The videos were made over the course of a few weeks in April 2007. From doing some searching, I’ve found two YTMND message board posts that discuss the video. My favorite thread:

marks98 04-16-2007, 04:49 PM
do you have this guy’s aim or anything?

DrMongol 04-16-2007, 04:49 PM
no, but that’s my dream.

I emailed him a few days ago and haven’t gotten a response. I don’t even know if it was his real email :(

DrMongol 04-16-2007, 04:50 PM
dude where is Ted Stevens he’d be all over this
AAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

marks98 04-16-2007, 04:53 PM
He’s got phone and fax numbers in the whois…

DrMongol 04-16-2007, 05:02 PM
i’m going to call him one of these days and ask for a sign

DrMongol 04-16-2007, 05:03 PM
oh man dude he’s lounging on the job in the most recent pic, if I were his boss I would maybe fire him or ask him to come into my office :naughty:

marks98 04-16-2007, 05:04 PM
looks like a shit job anyway

I’m sure I would have deleted the email without reading it if I didn’t know who it was. I don’t think they ever called.

There are two other videos, both shorter. One is funny:

And one makes no sense at all (Does anyone know who this first guy is?):

Creepiness factor aside, what makes this episode most amusing to me is that this is the kind of thing that I would do, and did do when I uploaded the spoon-playing-rapper video. Turnabout IS fair play.

Also, I do have to say that I am impressed by the quality and comedic timing of the video, if this were some half-assed job, I might be offended. These videos have been out on YouTube for a year, so I suppose that the authors of the video got tired of me, and moved on to bigger and more random things. If they find this, though, let me say…Job well done.

One last thought, be careful what you put on the internet, or you’ll find things that the internet puts on you.